Book Review: A Date With Darcy

A Date With Darcy (Bookish Boyfriends #1) by Tiffany Schmidt
Goodreads Summary:
In this contemporary YA, a teenager’s favorite literary heroes woo her in real life

The first of two books in an intended paperback original series about a girl whose classic literary crushes manifest in real life. Merrilee Campbell, 16, thinks boys are better in books, chivalry is dead, and there’d be nothing more romantic than having just one guy woo her like the heroes in classic stories. She’s about to get the chance to test these daydreams when she, her best friend, Eliza, and her younger sister, Rory, transfer into Reginald R. Hero High, where all their fantasies come true—often with surprising consequences.

My Review:
4.7/5 Stars
A first glance this sounds like the perfect book for any literary lover, a girl that can fall in and out of love with a book character before she can eat breakfast every morning. And I'll be the first to admit that I am way more comfortable hiding behind my lasted book crush then trying to find a real one. Oops...
But even about 3 chapters into it, I was regretting my book choice. It seemed cheesy (which it was) and like something I would have loved 6 years ago in high school (also valid). But by half way through I couldn't hide my grin from anyone. It truly was one of the best turn arounds I have read so don't give up if you aren't intrigued in the beginning!!
I will say that they create several parallels to both Romeo and Juliet and of course Pride and Prejudice, so I suggest having either read or seen the movie before hand to truly get the most out of this book! But who hasn't??
I do wish the storylines with some of the other characters had been wrapped up, but this is supposedly  the first in a series, so hopefully Schmidt will follow up for all our questions!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday (8)

Top Ten Tuesday (4)

Can't Wait Wednesday